Tuesday, December 18, 2018

A Soul Clenched

Initially I had titled my research paper as: Challenges and learning opportunities for Himroo of Aurangabad. As I was refining the paper further, the title felt more like an essay and less like a title. So I changed it to Himroo: A Soul Clenched
Why such a title? It is inspired from one of Pablo Neruda’s poem called Clenched Soul. Because I believe when circumstances give you a clenched feeling, or when you clench your teeth, it is time to fight back for yourself and make a significant change against the unpleasant circumstances you have been facing. Currently this is what Himroo of Aurangabad is facing – some unpleasant circumstances.

Himroo became a part of my life since 2007 when I was studying post graduate program in NID. For past 11 years it was an on and off relationship with Himroo which began as a craft documentation project, then a photo shoot project, a craft publication project and so on. In November 2018, with a clenched soul I decided to end this relationship by presenting a design research paper at INSIGHT 2018 – A Design Research Symposium at NID, Ahmedabad.
Indeed a clenched soul of Himroo and a clenched soul of myself form two different metaphors here. But life is that way – sometimes quite hopeful and not always determined. I go with what Rumi says, “Be like a tree and let the dead leaves drop.”

The research paper will be part of a publication by NID soon.
Sharing few images and slides of my presentation here.
I began and concluded the presentation with images of women Himroo weavers as they are the only hope for the craft to survive and sustain further. 

No comments: